For some people, sitting down and writing a blog seems a little daunting. Sure, it is easy to say ‘just get on with it and write!’. But there are so many factors you need to consider when you write your content. Why? Because nobody wants to read rubbish! You need your blog content to be of value to your audience. If you put in the time and effort into your writing, it will definitely shine through!
What are the benefits of having great content?
- Readers will be encouraged to read more of what you have to say.
- It will leave a good impression to your audience of yourself.
- It boosts SEO rankings which can allow you to gain more traffic to your site.
- You will be seen as an authority within your niche.
In short, how you convey your message can make or break your site. So let’s get into my tips on how you can produce compelling content.
1. Solve your reader’s problems. What is the point of your article? What can you provide to your audience that will help solve issues that they may have? You need to make sure that your readers always take something away from your article.
2. Get to the point fast! Readers don’t want to go through paragraph after paragraph of ramblings! They want answers and they want them now!
3. Take away the ‘extra padding’ that you may have. Remember, quality is better than quantity. Get rid of the unnecessary details.
4. Add images and video. This can give the reader a little break from reading and keep them interested. Make sure the media is relevant. Also, keep it to a minimum. Nobody wants to see a bunch of random images scattered all over the place.
5. Proofread your writing. If you want to be taken seriously by your readers, you need to be sure that you fix up any grammatical errors. Read your article aloud to yourself as this can help pick out any errors that you may miss if you just read quietly in your head. You can also get someone else to quickly proofread your work as they may be able to pick up on mistakes that you may have made but couldn’t see due to your own habits. For example, if you get the classic ‘your’ and ‘you’re’ mixed up with each other.
6. Use a catchy and effective title. The title is just as important as the article itself because when the audience reads the title, it could play a huge influence on whether or not they want to read the actual content. If you don’t have a compelling headline in itself, then all of your hard work writing the compelling blog post has pretty much gone down the drain. Be sure to keep your title brief as search engines cut off long title tags.
7. Utilize your SEO skills. Doing this will rank your content highly on search engines. You can do things like having a great page layout, keep your paragraphs at an appropriate length. Don’t overuse your keywords because search engines don’t like this. If you are using WordPress as your blogging platform, I highly recommend that you use the Yoast plugin. It helps a great deal when it comes to making your blog post SEO-perfected.
8. Ensure that your blog post has clear readability. Again, you want to keep your paragraphs short. You also want to avoid writing lengthy sentences. This is because it can cause confusion for the reader. Use bullet points or numbering when listing concepts.
9. Thoroughly research the topic you will be writing about. Include links that may backup your findings. Doing this makes you look more credible to your audience. Be as accurate as possible by doing fact-checks. Giving your readers false information can hurt your reputation a great deal. You need to build and maintain trust within your audience, so always double check your work.
10. Make your blog post engaging to the audience. Doing this will make your readers hang onto your every word and that is exactly what you want! Start with a problem that they may have and tell them how you can solve that problem. Tell them a story about your own personal experience with this problem and solution. Keep it exciting, keep it consistent and be careful of the type of tone you use.
You may also be interested in…